Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Banter for Sunday 25 March

Go down 
+26
Stroller
Dodgy
Glenfield Town
Hairy Hebrew!
BEES KNEES
the cat
CSKA19Carnabys
Polska legend II
ShaNiO
Jenko
whiteeagles
Rwhite08
Mivan are going up
Capello
browny15lfc
Skeems
lingers
mowmacre fc
Joey Barton
Kilworthsunday
Jwithers
Hellboy
Joey-Gattuso
Bucko
Widds
Gordon
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

well done, got to be the shock of the season this especially bearing in mind the circumstances under which you achieved it
Back to top Go down
Glenfield Town

Glenfield Town

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 8:34 am

There wasn't a single bad tackle all game yet he showed about 7 or 8 yellow cards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamstats.net/glenfieldtownsunday
Stroller
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
Stroller

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

That situation with the subs is just bonkers jocolor

Not all refs even ask for subs names or take them when offered. Not sure what the league ruling on this would be but if its going to be enforced like in this instance then ALL refs should be made to ask for named subs
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Sparta3

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

Referees usually come to us to ask for the subs names.For this referee to know that subs were there but not bother to ask is a bit silly.
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

Being a referee and a club secretary, I've had both sides of the coin. Many refs have not asked us for subs names this season (might be because the surnames are Polish!) and some have said 'don't worry about it as long as I know you have 2 or 3 to bring on' even when offered the names!

The ref is technically not in the wrong by not allowing players to enter the field of play if names have not been given. However, I always ask for them before a game if I am officiating. Again, that is still the clubs responsibiity.

On the basis that a ref (in my opinion) should want to enjoy a good relationship with both sides before, during and after a game, I personally would have allowed the subs on if it was an oversight because it sends out the right message. Refs are slated enough and often vilified, but I think you get more respect as a ref if you are seen to be applying some common sense.
Back to top Go down
littlebigman

littlebigman

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

Being a Ref myself I very rarely criticise Refs but knowing who the Ref was for this game i'm not at all suprised by his actions, I without fail get the subs names before kick off because too often on a Sunday Morning there is one person doing everything so I make sure i approach them and get the subs names,obviously the clubs have to take a little of the blame but again knowing the Ref i'm sure he took great satisfaction in watching lads stand on the sidelines, Footballs all about opinnions and mine is by using Refs like him it only makes the job harder for other Refs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
funtime frankie

funtime frankie

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

A great report by steve turner,and to reply to dodgy.with the way the ref was being this game could have easily got out of hand so i think it's a credit to both sides attitude towards the game that it didn't,we've always got on with the advance lads and have had some tight games and as steve said they were very gratious in defeat and wish them all the best for the rest of there season and there 2 cup finals
Back to top Go down
MonkeyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

Dodgy wrote:
Glenfield Town wrote:
Glenfield Town Sunday 1 v 0 Advance Couriers

I don't usually bother with match reports but after yesterday's game I've decided to

Firstly the game was made very difficult for us from the beginning. The referee arrived at 10.15 and waited in his dressing room while both teams were warming up, naming starting line ups, pumping up match balls, putting out corner flags, pegging goals etc. The ref then came out of his dressing room a couple of minutes before 10.30. He called over both captains and linesmen and spoke to them for about five minutes. Unfortunately both teams had forgotten to give him the names of the subs. Most refs on Sundays only ask for the names as players come on. Anyone with a bit of common sense would of mentioned to the captains that we have forgotten to give the names. This particular ref decided that he would keep it to himself and after 10 minutes when we needed a sub he was delighted to announce our mistake. He seemed to take great pleasure in announcing that neither team were going to be making any subs. Even though both teams agreed we had forgot and were both happy to name them after the start of the game. I know it is down to the clubs to provide the names prior to the game and this is usually left to the managers to sort out but there are so many other things to think about before a game kicks of sometimes people make mistakes and a bit of common sense and a quiet word in the right direction from the ref would of resolved the problem instantly.

Anyway back the the game, it kicked of and Glenfield started very brightly keeping possession when we needed too and closing Advance down pretty fast when we lost possession. We had a couple of early half chances within the first 5 minutes or so and in my opinion looked the stronger side early on. Jack Lane and Adam Parry in particular started strongly. The Advance management were heard shouting "Your not even getting near them yet" Advance then started to play a bit too and managed to create a couple of chances of their own, Ryan Ogden found himself in space just inside our box but struck the ball a bit too sweetly as is went straight at our keeper Aaron Hayward. Stacey Corre then broke clear and again Aaron was on hand to block the one on one chance. This is where our troubles started as Jack Lane went down injured after just 10 minutes , having pulled his groin and unable to continue the "Sub naming saga began". The Advance management team were trying to reason with the ref to allow us to make a sub but to no avail as he stuck to his guns and became very stubborn. We continued with 10 men and although Advance had more possession we were by no means out of the game. We had 3 or 4 more half chances but they all lacked that final bit of quality. I can't really remember any clear cut chances for Advance in the first half as we limited them to possession just outside the danger area. Advance slung a long ball into the box and Ogden went down holding his head looked in quite some pain, the referee waved play on even though we were telling him it's a head injury. Jake Limbert unsure whether to play on or not finally tapped the ball out so that Ogden could receive treatment. Our troubles then got even worse after just 25 minutes when Josh Swain suffered a nasty looking gash just above his eye following a header. Again the referee seemed reluctant to stop play even though it was a clear head injury. Finally when he saw blood all over Josh's face he blew his whistle. Unable to continue and off down to the Royal for stitches. Again we asked the ref to use his common sense and allow us to make a sub but he declined. We reshuffled to 4-3-1 and dug deep for the last 20 minutes of the half, Advance also reshuffled to a more attacking 4-4-2. Again by no means were we out of the game at this point as we were still creating chances and defending strongly against odds.

Half Time 0 - 0

We spoke at half time and decided not to feel sorry for ourselves but to go out for the second half and give everything we had for 45 minutes and see if we could some how keep a clean sheet.
The second half kicked off pretty similar to how the first half had ended very open, Advance being allowed to play with the ball in their half but as soon as they got in our half we closed them down and tried to stop the crosses and balls into our box. Advances game plan seemed to be to attack us down the wings were they had extra men with the full backs overlapping and then get crosses into the box. This seemed to play right into our hands as we were able to read where the ball was going and stop the crosses. Nick Varnam, Adam Parry and myself cutting out as many crosses as we could. Those that we were unable to stop found the head of our two centre halves Rob Charles and Wes Gibson, these two didn't loose a single header all game and both contenders for man of the match. Stacey Corre then seemed to pick up an injury and rather than go off sat a bit deeper in midfield. Advance then started throwing everything they could at us and had their two best efforts of the game. Wayne Dean with a header at the back post looked goal bound before somehow Aaron Hayward with a bit of a worldy point blank reaction save tipped it wide. Ryan Ogden then had a shot which although it was going just wide Hayward unsure and tipped it around the post to make sure. Adam Parry on the counter attack for us found himself one on one with Jake Greives but couldn't quite lift the ball over Jake as he had gone to ground a bit too early. Spurred on by this attempt we now realised that we were not only playing for 1 point but could also some how nick all 3. Another speculative long ball from us, which Joe Thomas had been chasing after tirelessly all game, some how wriggled free from the defender and Joe was able to pull it square to the screaming Paul Pallett just outside the Advances box, Pallett took one touch to the get the ball out from under his feet and then curled the ball around the outstretched arms of Jake and nestled the ball in the top corner GOAL 1 - 0.

Now with 20 minutes plus stoppages left we had to use every bit of experience we had. Slowing the game down, not giving away soft free kicks in the wrong areas and most of all defending as a unit from the front. Joe had somehow injured himself winning the ball before Palletts goal but continued and chased every lost cause. Mitch Willott, Paul Pallett and Adam Parry the three midfielders never stopped running and closing down the Advance midfield. And the back four Nick Varnam, Wes Gibson, Rob Charles and myself winning every header, tackle and block. Aaron also making one or two more saves. The best chance then fell for Advance when Ogden drove down the right wing to the byline and pulled the ball back to Wayne Dean who's back heel flick drifter just wide of the post. Three or Four corners came and went for Advancd every one met the head of Rob Charles or Wes Gibson. Jake Limbert tried to shoot from just outside the 18 yard box but again Mitch Willott and myself were able to block the shot. Advance put everything then could forward reshuffled to 3 - 4 - 3 but still could no find a way through the Glenfield defence.

The final whistle could not come any sooner for us and when it did come you'd of though we had just won the league. Advance were gratious in defeat and congratulated us on our efforts.

A great victory for us probably the best in our clubs 11 years history. It will be spoken about for years to come.

Everyone at Glenfield can be proud of ourselves after that performance including the unlucky four subs who were unable to play. Steve Gretton, Andy Buckle, Joe Bulter and Wayne Calver all showed great attitudes after realising they would not be taking part in the game.

And finally my Man of the match - Adam Parry - never stopped running at Advance even though he didn't have many options to pass too.

You should do more of these, a great effort from your lads yesterday and deserved in the end although I'm still fuming that the ref refused to allow subs especially as I did the line so he was fully aware that we had subs before we kicked off, he set his stall out early on though booking both sides centre backs in the first 5 mins for petty things, was surprised neither side had anyone sent off the way he went on

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That situation sounds remarkably similar to our game (Horse) against Frolesworth two weeks ago. I don't know if it's the same official. I'm not one to comment on referees but our game nearly ended in farce also. We needed to make a sub during the first half and he initially wouldn't let us, and he really seemed to want to make a massive point that it was our responsibility to tell him our sub's names. I'm sure going by the book he's right, but like someone else has said here, it's not like clubs don't have enough other things to do (set up goals, etc., etc.) so the ref asking for the subs names takes a minute. It was clearly obvious that both teams had subs and he was clearly being pedantic and just making a point. The game stopped for about 10 minutes while there was a major debate about it. At one point, the Frolesworth lino put the flag down and said he didn't want to run the line if that was the situation, so the ref just said 'OK then we'll play without offsides'! Unbelievable, that is a ridiculous comment. Eventually, after some massive persuasion, he agreed to allow the subs, although it didn't help me, as the long break meant I seized up and had to go off with tight hamstrings!

I'm not sure if it's the same official, but if it is, he perhaps needs to relax and allow a bit of leeway. I know there are rules, but it's not the Premier League. Obviously I'd rather have a referee than not and I appreciate them as much as everyone, but they've got to allow the game run with the correct spirit. Both teams were there for a good friendly game, there was no malice in the game, yet the ref's inexplicable behaviour potentially spoilt the situation.

Just no need at all.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012, 4:58 pm

Whistleblower's back?????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

2 sides to every story, yes its easy to jot down the subs names, as well as its easy to ask for them, i would have to ask the question as to why the subs names weren't available, if the actual players are standing there themselves, surely they can quickly tell the ref who they are, if the managers not got the paperwork, come on refs quickly jot the names down yourself, its the least you can do as part of your payment, and only takes a minute..... No
Back to top Go down
Glenfield Town

Glenfield Town

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

All the subs from both sides were there ready and warming up well before the ref even turned up. Nobody realised the ref didnt have the names until 10 minutes into the game when he announced it to everyone. Obvioulsy both teams had forgotten to ask the ref if he wanted the names first. We were all busy getting ready for the game. The ref was obviously fully aware no names were given and decided to keep it to himself until one of us would ask for a sub. He had even spoken to two of the subs before the kick off as they were running the line. They were clearly subs as they were in full kit with shinpads and boots on.

We are aware it was our mistake but just wish this particular ref had used some common sense. Maybe he will in the future???? At the end of the day he gets paid to be there, managers, players and other club officials don't.

Back to top Go down
http://www.teamstats.net/glenfieldtownsunday
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banter for Sunday 25 March   Banter for Sunday 25 March - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banter for Sunday 25 March
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2