Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Alliance Premier - 'A' League style

Go down 
+10
Blackie
Stevie Gerrard
dezza
oily
sol sol bamba
Sparta3
Skeems
Widds
Polska legend II
Aussie Owl
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Empty
PostSubject: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 7:28 am

In Oz/NZ there is one professional League consisting of 10 teams from all points of the compass, including New Zealand. Perth v Sydney involves a 5 hour flight. Last season, a team from Queensland resigned because of the heat and humidity. There is no promotion/relegation because there is only one division.

The format which they use to keep the season, income and interest going is as follows.

When all teams have played 18 games, the top six go into a play off. Yes - you could be in the bottom half and still be in the play offs. (Leicester City?)

Teams finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th play a round robin to decide which two teams go through to semifinals and the Grand Final with 1st and 2nd joining at this point.

This year, a brand new team reached the Grand Final but my local team - Central Coast Mariners - beat them 2-0. This was their 4th GF but only their first win.

How did this come about? I am advised that all other professional sports have play offs to determine the Champions and soccer flet they had to compete.

Is this something the Alliance Premiership would benefit from?
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:18 am

Possibly Dennis. I worry the Premiership will have more holes in it next season than Ivanovic's arm
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 12:10 pm

It is concerning, with the possibility of car breakers, Couriers and a couple from Div 1 folding,where do the teams come from. And you get the chance that teams who are in a division above their ability Will fold leaving it even weaker. Perhaps the result of an ever increasing number of teams in the league? As reliable players are spread over more teams?
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

My own view is that it might actual make the Prem more open and reduce the fear factor. In days gone by, in a small numbered Prem, no one could compete outside the big three of Advance, Scrappy Garage and Prem Sports which is why no one wanted to go in it. If it becomes more open, more teams will compete. It has always been the case that teams just want competitive football - no one wants to be beaten every Sunday by senior league Saturday players. I suppose if Advance do fold the majority of their squad would be Star & Garter bound?
Back to top Go down
Skeems
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

Quote :
My own view is that it might actual make the Prem more open and reduce the fear factor. In days gone by, in a small numbered Prem, no one could compete outside the big three of Advance, Scrappy Garage and Prem Sports which is why no one wanted to go in it. If it becomes more open, more teams will compete. It has always been the case that teams just want competitive football - no one wants to be beaten every Sunday by senior league Saturday players. I suppose if Advance do fold the majority of their squad would be Star & Garter bound?

This season's Premier has been very competitive with everyone able to everybody else and thats why it has been so good. Although I can't predict the future I doubt any Advance players will be coming on board the Star & Garter train apart from 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Sparta3

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 1:51 pm

An SPL-style split?

Give the "bottom" clubs a shield/plate to play for.

The problem with this type of arrangement is ensuring you have the correct number of clubs at the split/play-off stage.

Back to top Go down
sol sol bamba

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 2:16 pm

The weather would make it a mess u would have to make sure every1 played the right amounts off games at the same time
Back to top Go down
oily
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

Mdh and fairfieid both good enough for prem thats two replaced.
Azzuri apparently good enough as well.
And may get one or 2 apply from other leagues so all not lost.
Back to top Go down
dezza
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dezza

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 7:32 pm

We aren't good enough
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

Azzuri and Thurmaston are both littered with prem quality players. After a season or two together they Will be class
Back to top Go down
dezza
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dezza

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:29 pm

Cheers widds!! I expect us to lose one or two next season with new teams that may be being formed
Back to top Go down
Stevie Gerrard

Stevie Gerrard

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

I'd agree with oily..MDH and Fairfield both more than good enough for the prem. Very similar to moshdock in the way they play
Back to top Go down
Blackie
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
Blackie

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 9:13 pm

sol sol bamba wrote:
The weather would make it a mess u would have to make sure every1 played the right amounts off games at the same time

Sol sol bamba is spot on - this would be a non starter due to teams having played a massively different number of games.

Invitation Cup anyone?!!!!!

(I'll keep mentioning it until the league acknowledges that it's a good idea!)
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 9:25 pm

Blackie wrote:
sol sol bamba wrote:

Sol sol bamba is spot on - this would be a non starter due to teams having played a massively different number of games.

and i Will keep backing you up! Invitation cup is great way to motivate mid table teams.
Back to top Go down
King Kong

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 9:43 pm

Aren't glenfield and prem in the billy Walton cup 2 teams near the bottom of the league so plenty to play for the prem this year has been the tightest ever
Back to top Go down
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 8:34 am

Sparta3 wrote:
An SPL-style split?

Give the "bottom" clubs a shield/plate to play for.

The problem with this type of arrangement is ensuring you have the correct number of clubs at the split/play-off stage.

... or a Prem of 5 teams?
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Sparta3

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 9:05 am

dezza wrote:
We aren't good enough

You position in Division 1 would suggest otherwise...
Back to top Go down
Paul Daniels
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

Why don't you just keep the format the same? You know like a normal league?
Back to top Go down
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 9:06 am

Paul Daniels wrote:
Why don't you just keep the format the same? You know like a normal league?

Agreed
Back to top Go down
L.K.F.C
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

Widds wrote:
It is concerning, with the possibility of car breakers, Couriers and a couple from Div 1 folding,where do the teams come from. And you get the chance that teams who are in a division above their ability Will fold leaving it even weaker. Perhaps the result of an ever increasing number of teams in the league? As reliable players are spread over more teams?

I mentioned last year about the number of teams reaching a "critical point" where there simply aren't enough players coming in to account for all the new teams. I was hit with the fact it wasn't just "new teams" folding, but my point was that which Widds made here, existing players are moving about into these new sides which is resulting in 1) teams being less competitive and in the worst cases 2) teams folding.

As far as MDH being good enough for the prem, I'm not too sure. My gut instinct is we would compete most games but lose out narrowly... That said we'd happily give it a go! I remember having to beg promotion 2 years back and that proved to be right!
Fairfield are a cracking side and iv no doubt they'd hold their own in the top flight also.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

L.K.F.C wrote:
fairfield are a cracking side and iv no doubt they'd hold their own in the top flight also.

Its showtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 12:14 pm

I agree, if Advance do disappear then neither MDH or Fairfield would be embarrassed in the Prem
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 12:16 pm

Widds wrote:
Blackie wrote:
sol sol bamba wrote:

and i Will keep backing you up! Invitation cup is great way to motivate mid table teams.

the LSL inviation cup this year has seen a quarter and semi final played in the same week which I don't think is ideal. not too sure about the health of a cup competition that is arranged very late in the season, you might as well just have friendlies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alliance Premier - 'A' League style   Alliance Premier - 'A' League style Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alliance Premier - 'A' League style
Page 1 of 1