Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Play-Offs

Go down 
+7
Hellboy
L.K.F.C
Katie G
Fishandchips
Polska legend II
Ramley_LBFC
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Ramley_LBFC

Ramley_LBFC

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 8:48 pm

This topic has probably been raised before, but I cant see it so here goes...

I just looked at practically every table (yes I was that bored) and the league is pretty much done and dusted by early May, with no football for most bar friendlies until the end of August.

Would it not be a good idea to introduce play offs to the leagues. I am sure 1st and 2nd are guaranteed promotion in each league, but why not offer 3rd through 6th the chance of promotion with an end of season play offs? It will give all those teams with seemingly little to play for the chance to go for something and could throw up some fantastic games.

Lots of time to get the extra three games in at the start of May, extra finances for the Alliance and clubs and a real motivator for some of those teams who might feel they dont have a chance of winning the league or coming runner up? Seems like a win win win for me?

Discuss....
Back to top Go down
http://littlebowden.webs.com/

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 8:53 pm

Would be a great to see if the league decided to do this but I highly doubt it. Plus promotion means nothing anymore with the amount of league changes that are made each season
Back to top Go down
Ramley_LBFC

Ramley_LBFC

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 8:55 pm

791 wrote:
Would be a great to see if the league decided to do this but I highly doubt it. Plus promotion means nothing anymore with the amount of league changes that are made each season

Not sure if it means "nothing" because it is a massive morale booster and looking at the leagues this season just gone the Alliance league got it pretty much spot on with teams in the right leagues etc...
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Good call and it has been discussed before but the league is too fluid to make it work. Many new teams joining and others folding make a pre-summer promotion idea almost impossible. Also, would a club finishing outside the top 3 want to go up? I know I wouldn't. Also the seasons should generally be aimed to be finished by 1 may. And don't forget in other seasons there can be massive fixture backlogs
Back to top Go down
Ramley_LBFC

Ramley_LBFC

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 10:43 pm

Maybe something to introduce to divs 5, 6 and 7 rather than the highers divs? I think most teams who can compete in 7 could compete in 6, and 6 in 5.
Back to top Go down
Fishandchips
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Fishandchips

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeWed 02 May 2012, 11:24 pm

problem comes when you get in a position like Kajima and have to play a lot of games in the final month, then finish 3rd and have to go through a playoffs on top, plus pitch availability as you go into May gets more difficult. A harsher winter and all of sudden a lot of teams are playing a lot of games at the end of the season! not that i don't like the idea it'd just be difficult to incorperate - would be easier if teams were more stable, not folding at the end of season or mid-season, less new teams coming in etc.

Note: Kajima is purely an example, i am not saying i think they have been hard done by - it's just part and parcel of Sunday football and getting games in during a limited space of time
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/mdhknights/
Katie G
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 9:12 am

Polska legend II wrote:
Good call and it has been discussed before but the league is too fluid to make it work. Many new teams joining and others folding make a pre-summer promotion idea almost impossible. Also, would a club finishing outside the top 3 want to go up? I know I wouldn't. Also the seasons should generally be aimed to be finished by 1 may. And don't forget in other seasons there can be massive fixture backlogs
Sometimes you finish 4th and get pushed up, sorry, promoted, whether you like it or not without play offs!
Back to top Go down
L.K.F.C
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 9:30 am

Simply put enough teams have to "limp across the line" barely scrathcing 11 to finish with midweek fixtures etc... To then extend it further is just not feasible.
It's a nice idea but simply not doable, especially when you think this year was pretty good for postponements.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 9:57 am

Fishandchips wrote:
problem comes when you get in a position like Kajima and have to play a lot of games in the final month, then finish 3rd and have to go through a playoffs on top, plus pitch availability as you go into May gets more difficult. A harsher winter and all of sudden a lot of teams are playing a lot of games at the end of the season! not that i don't like the idea it'd just be difficult to incorperate - would be easier if teams were more stable, not folding at the end of season or mid-season, less new teams coming in etc.

Note: Kajima is purely an example, i am not saying i think they have been hard done by - it's just part and parcel of Sunday football and getting games in during a limited space of time

Its the kids earning 10p a day, making our footballs i feel sorry for, not people who sit round all day doing nowt, and getting state handouts.
Back to top Go down
Pete Mourinho
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 11:34 am

I love the idea just can't see how it would work in practice

Lack of pitches in May, team already struggling to fulfill fixtures, constitution changes too much from year to year due to new team/teams folding

Great idea tho
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 12:40 pm

nobody has mentioned the cost as well. already a struggle.

one option is to do the play offs on 3g pitches i guess
Back to top Go down
Neevsey

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 1:58 pm

my stance is that unless you finish in the top two who wants to go up not me for one
Back to top Go down
Fishandchips
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Fishandchips

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 2:22 pm

I don't see why team's wouldn't want to go up and play against stronger more competitive teams given the chance.
Back to top Go down
Neevsey

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 2:23 pm

you dont deserve to basically
Back to top Go down
Fishandchips
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Fishandchips

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 2:33 pm

In a lot of divisions though the top 4/5 teams are probably as good as or better than the bottom 4/5 of the division above, or due to teams folding there are spaces.... the aim is to make the divisions as strong and compeitive as possible - if a team finishing 4/5 in the table is the strongest option and wouldn't be out of their depth i don't see why they wouldn't take the opportunity to step up.
Back to top Go down
rocket ledge
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 2:57 pm

Ramley_LBFC wrote:

I just looked at practically every table (yes I was that bored) and the league is pretty much done and dusted by early May, with no football for most bar friendlies until the end of August.

Would it not be a good idea to introduce play offs to the leagues. I am sure 1st and 2nd are guaranteed promotion in each league, but why not offer 3rd through 6th the chance of promotion with an end of season play offs? It will give all those teams with seemingly little to play for the chance to go for something and could throw up some fantastic games.

Lots of time to get the extra three games in at the start of May, extra finances for the Alliance and clubs and a real motivator for some of those teams who might feel they dont have a chance of winning the league or coming runner up? Seems like a win win win for me?

Discuss....

the top 5 will be promoted from div 3 maybe even top 6, so who needs play offs, you dont earn promotion in the alliance like in other leagues, you just automatically get it if the league think you will cope, double promotions for virtually every league winner and some runners up last season, you could join the commitee though then you could become the only league winner not to get an automatic double promotion wink wink
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 4:00 pm

another slanderous comment tommy and also incorrect. Are you struggling with the screw cap on your medication today?
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 4:15 pm

rocket ledge wrote:
Ramley_LBFC wrote:

Discuss....

the top 5 will be promoted from div 3 maybe even top 6, so who needs play offs, you dont earn promotion in the alliance like in other leagues, you just automatically get it if the league think you will cope, double promotions for virtually every league winner and some runners up last season, you could join the commitee though then you could become the only league winner not to get an automatic double promotion wink wink

Maybe clubs would ‘earn’ a promotion if teams didn’t fold? The only reason the league will have to bump a variety of teams up through the divisions is because there is a void left by teams folding. If there were never any withdrawals from the league then you would find teams promoted and relegated in a more uniform manner. Its easy to blame the league for the changes in the structure, but teams have to take a long hard look at themselves, so many teams set themselves up with no clear long term plan and then fold after a couple of seasons, how on earth can the league legislate for teams folding. Players and managers need to look at themselves first.

Anyway Tommy, on a separate issue, good luck with Saff, read one of your posts about you may fold…hopefully this wont happen.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 5:03 pm

Widds wrote:
another slanderous comment tommy and also incorrect. Are you struggling with the screw cap on your medication today?

I think tommy needs an exorcism....he appears to be possessed by tommy.
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 11:26 pm

so to recap, play offs are not viable in this level of football - unless we could guarantee every club carrying on and no-one folding
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog
Widds

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeThu 03 May 2012, 11:48 pm

Polska legend II wrote:
so to recap, play offs are not viable in this level of football - unless we could guarantee every club carrying on and no-one folding

I think that would be the case....my opinion anyway.....playoffs would be pointless....unless all clubs were honest about their playing ability and they stuck around, you cannot guarantee the consistency of strength in each division
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitimeFri 04 May 2012, 8:47 am

Correct. We are a bloody good league but we are not at that level yet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Play-Offs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play-Offs   Play-Offs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play-Offs
Page 1 of 1