Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Web Home page picture

Go down 
+7
Skeems
LK_United
Hellboy
mermick
Web_Manager
BOSSMAN
Sirus
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirus

Sirus

Web Home page picture Empty
PostSubject: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 7:51 am

Can who ever runs this website change the boring old picture of Advance and Glenfield please, seeing as both teams have wrapped up and are no longer in the Alliance league, i think its time for a change
Back to top Go down
BOSSMAN

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 8:45 am

Get some pictures of life long alliance players up there lol
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 10:05 am

The simple answer is technically yes I could, but since our photography decided to leave for Australia, I have no other images available to me so I actually can't do as you request.

I don't have a stock pile of images believe it or not, so unless anybody out there wants to send some images in, then that image will remain.

Last edited by Web_Manager on Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mermick

mermick

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 10:09 am

Can you make a slideshow of the team photos, say they change every couple of days.just a thought
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

It's brilliant in theory, but I don't think the application of it would it work. The image dimensions of team photos would not lend it's self to that space at the top of home page.

I will see what a team image displays like, but I honestly don't think it will look very good.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 11:56 am

Just put me on there..........

don't put sirus on there,dont put blackie on there,dont put hotshots on there, dont put bucko on there, this list could go on forever.
Back to top Go down
LK_United

LK_United

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 12:50 pm

It can be achieved quite easily IMHO.

Create a generic canvass. Crop ALL images to fit canvass. Add slider code. Refer to said images within the media library, all done.

Simplistic breakdown but you get the idea.

You might also want to look at updating your footer too, is it really still 2009 ;-)

Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 2:00 pm

Can't imagine why that photo got put on in the first place, look at it properly, looking at their faces its ghastly, what an ugly munch bunch, the one on the right, my god, looks like he's one of them trolls out of lord of the rings.
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 2:24 pm

You do make it sound very simplistic.

However, the current template for web, sets the dimensions of 910 x 205 for the banner across the top of the page.

The dimensions of the teams photos (all 72 of them) are set for 387  x 219. Even if I was to spend the time editing all the team images they would look terrible in that set up. If someone out there knows how to manipulate images, please by all means feel free to pass on any advice.

I always welcome requests for change to the website, will always listen. But there certain boundaries we operate in for numerous reasons.

In order to show as such, I have now put my good friends Moshdock as the home page banner (they are a handsome bunch aren't they?? - especially second from the left on the back row). If you think it looks ok, I will continue with other teams.

I know there is a lot of people on this forum (and involved with the league) who are probably more dynamic web coders then myself. This was my first attempt at a website, and it continues to be a learning curve every time something new is requested. I am not by trade anything to do with websites.

The circumstances which led to how I became involved & how this version of the website was created and the restrictions which were placed due to those issues I think have been well published before.

We have identified that the web needs a bit of a lift, this was mentioned at the AGM and I have spent an awful lot of time this summer (far more than what i would like) building the infrastructure to allow for this to happen.

Indeed for the sharp eye among you, hopefully you have seen an improvement to the format of the scorers, fixtures, results, tables already this year.

I have a list of about 10 more standard pages I have to build now that the infrastructure is in place to do so. I will hopefully be announcing each one as it is released. But they are in progress

Hopefully the officers will also be able to say that  the new system makes the job a lot simpler and that going forward it will help us achieve a lot more with regards to the information provided.

Last edited by Web_Manager on Wed 04 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm

Hellboy wrote:
Can't imagine why that photo got put on in the first place, look at it properly, looking at their faces its ghastly, what an ugly munch bunch, the one on the right, my god, looks like he's one of them trolls out of lord of the rings.
send me one of you Hellboy and it will be front page news............
Back to top Go down
LK_United

LK_United

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm

Hi Webby

First off, sorry if my comment offended I was just trying to help and no offence was intended.

It is what I do (web development) and as such I know too well the pit falls, but fortunately I also know the solutions so here goes (as per your request for image crop manipulation).

Depending on which flavour editor you use, this demo is based on Fireworks CS6

What we are trying to achieve is all images to be the same size AND to fit within the confines of the header (I personally would change this but as stated we shall work within this template).

1. Select ALL images within your team pic folder
2. Run a BATCH command and edit the sizes to xxx X 205px
3. Create a canvass set at 910 x 205
4. On this canvass add a headline grabber such as Alliance League Division Whatever
5. Insert 2 teams per slide and save
6. Delete the foreground images
7. Repeat steps 5 - 6 until completed
8. Download this FREE slider code => http://wowslider.com/rq/html-code-for-slideshow-pictures/ (not affiliated with)
9. Pop the code into your header/page area you want it displayed.
10. JD.

If you need any help feel free to shout and I will be happy to advise.

Just remember, I advise for free, if I touch it I charge Cool 

Cheers, Daren.
Back to top Go down
Sirus

Sirus

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

Just seen a moshdock picture there, very nice i must say but its 2 years old....at least put the latest one on...im sure it can be sent to you
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

No comment offended me.

We use Dreamweaver CS4, and the free image editor "Gimp".

As for asking for a new Moshdock picture - this is the same issue as everybody else. The photographer has left, we do not have more recent images than what's on the web.

Can you imagine how difficult it is to collate a team image album together with 1 person taking images?

Even if you managed to go to a place like Horsewell before the game, that would be 6 teams you could get max. That's only if each team was ready stripped and changed in time to have a photo taken. We have over 80 clubs in the league, so at 6 teams a week your looking at at least 12-13 weeks just to get them.

That's if you managed to get 6.

We have tried asking clubs to take thier own in the past, but teams just do not seem interested. Even getting the names of players when we have done the photo is hard enough.

If there is a budding photography out there who wishes to get involved, I would speak with Gordon I'm sure he would be happy to come to an arrangement.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm offended or being tetchy, but I think people forget that those on the commitee who do most of the work are mere volunteers. I know some people think we get paid, but Any small amount of money paid is minimal and is hardly worth it. The money I get doesn't even barely cover my Internet fees.

I know your comment about charging if you touch it maybe a little tongue in cheek, but unfortunately this is the issue with the web. We don't have mass money available to pay a person like yourself what they would charge per change (I am more than aware of what you guys charge). There is already grumblings that fees etc are to high so we can hardly ask for more for the sake of the web.

It's personal opinion, and of course I would be bias but I think when you look at our site and the speed in which it's updated compared with others available, then it's still bloody good
Back to top Go down
LK_United

LK_United

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 4:55 pm

You assumed correct, tongue in cheek indeed...

...and feel free to fire over any questions you may have relating to this issue and I would be very happy to help where I can without charge.

You can PM me here or direct from my contact page.

Best Wishes
Daren
Back to top Go down
Skeems
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 5:08 pm

FoxHunter1974 wrote:
1. Select ALL images within your team pic folder
2. Run a BATCH command and edit the sizes to xxx X 205px
3. Create a canvass set at 910 x 205
4. On this canvass add a headline grabber such as Alliance League Division Whatever
5. Insert 2 teams per slide and save
6. Delete the foreground images
7. Repeat steps 5 - 6 until completed
8. Download this FREE slider code => http://wowslider.com/rq/html-code-for-slideshow-pictures/ (not affiliated with)
9. Pop the code into your header/page area you want it displayed.
10. JD.
Web Home page picture Mind_b10
Back to top Go down
allroads1

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeWed 04 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm

If the league would like to use any of my photos from last season, then feel free. They are all available online @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambler77/collections/72157629458181665/

If so I can e-mail any full quality original copies.

Back to top Go down
http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeThu 05 Sep 2013, 10:15 am

Web_Manager wrote:
The simple answer is technically yes I could, but since our photography decided to leave for Australia, .
Would any pictures of Kangaroos or Koalas be of any help. By the way, I would only charge travelling expenses.

Best of luck to everyone in the coming season and keep the Alliance flag flying.

Back to top Go down
Fieldy
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
Fieldy

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeThu 05 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Aussie Owl wrote:
Web_Manager wrote:
The simple answer is technically yes I could, but since our photography decided to leave for Australia, .
Would any pictures of Kangaroos or Koalas be of any help. By the way, I would only charge travelling expenses.

Best of luck to everyone in the coming season and keep the Alliance flag flying.

Would be better than LCFC in 'Topps Tiles' kit showing Jack Hobbs as playing, Liverpool in a Carlsberg kit and MCFC in Thomas Cook, how old.
Back to top Go down
Web_Manager

Web_Manager

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeFri 06 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

Thank you both for your offers, I maybe in touch soon on e current developments are out the way.
Back to top Go down
Katie G
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitimeSun 15 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

For future seasons have it as part of the team registration form we all have to do. Send it us electronically to fill out which can be returned with a pic. Or set an end of sept deadline for teams to submit a photo with players names. Most people have a camera or camera phone to do this these days!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Web Home page picture   Web Home page picture Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Web Home page picture
Page 1 of 1