Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

The beginnings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 12:58 pm

The League formed a Sunday Section in 1976 and the first games played were:

5th September, 1976
Broughton Astley 2, Bath Hotel 5 (C Miles)
Eldon Rangers 0, Hastings Albion 1 (B F Bown)
Ibstock Brick 1, Coleman Old Boys 2 (M J Bills)
Nailstone Sports 3, Cedar Motors 4 (S L Abbott)
National Carriers 1, Chartwell Rangers 3 (A S Attewell)
North Kilworth 2, City Planners 0 (A C Hull)

The League was still running a Saturday section.
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 7:06 pm

So Bath Hotel were there from the start, then became BMG who recently folded. Great shame that
Back to top Go down
Grahamexref

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2012, 6:11 pm

I remember two of my fellow referees Melvin Bills and Archie Hull !
Back to top Go down
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

The last I heard about Melvyn Bills, he was severly disabled - I think with MS.

Archie Hull was our member from Lutterworth but heard nothing after he stopped reffing.
Back to top Go down
Grahamexref

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

Those were the days........ I joined H and H Lge during 1976 when I met Carl Kings through a work situation and joined up as a Class 2 aged 22. Cedar Motors I think won the division the following season and the top four were Cedars , WMC Braunstone, Wigston Town (CC) and Ibstock. Always enjoyed refereeing Cedars v WMC Braunstone. Gained my Class One and Senior League in 1978 and reffed on H and H FL until I moved to Nottingham in 1984.

So many happy and enjoyable Sunday mornings over that eight year period on H an H....... except wehen I had Eyres Monsell O B's, never seemed to get on with their goal-keeper , a big lad I remember !

Dennis, I seem to remember you as League Secretary and possibly Referees' Secretary after Carl retired. Jim Hubbard had just started out and we worked together many times further down the line....... my name.......... Graham Holt from Barwell..... and that's almost 30 years ago ! Look forward to hearing further.
Back to top Go down
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Aussie Owl

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

Sad to say, Mel Bills passed away a few years ago.

Of course, I remember you. In those days it was sometimes a struggle to get refs and everyone was precious, just as they are now. The league records are now at the Leicester Record Office, or otherwise I could have told you your games and marks.

Carl is now our president and still going strong.
Back to top Go down
rocket ledge
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 11:31 pm

Grahamexref wrote:
Those were the days........ I joined H and H Lge during 1976 when I met Carl Kings through a work situation and joined up as a Class 2 aged 22. Cedar Motors I think won the division the following season and the top four were Cedars , WMC Braunstone, Wigston Town (CC) and Ibstock. Always enjoyed refereeing Cedars v WMC Braunstone. Gained my Class One and Senior League in 1978 and reffed on H and H FL until I moved to Nottingham in 1984.

So many happy and enjoyable Sunday mornings over that eight year period on H an H....... except wehen I had Eyres Monsell O B's, never seemed to get on with their goal-keeper , a big lad I remember !

Dennis, I seem to remember you as League Secretary and possibly Referees' Secretary after Carl retired. Jim Hubbard had just started out and we worked together many times further down the line....... my name.......... Graham Holt from Barwell..... and that's almost 30 years ago ! Look forward to hearing further.

what was the keepers name, my old man played for the monsell club in the late 70s early 80s
Back to top Go down
rocket ledge
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 11:31 pm

and he was the goalie lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The beginnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beginnings   The beginnings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The beginnings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Alliance League :: An Anoraks View...-
Jump to: