Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

billy walton cup

Go down 
+7
Jenko
Hellboy
dan_mitchell_WRFC
THE MAGICIAN
Polska legend II
allen654
FC POCHIN
11 posters
AuthorMessage
FC POCHIN
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
FC POCHIN

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:28 pm

I have posted before a few times about scrapping the billy Walton to avoid fixture congestion
and avoid some pointless fixtures,but with a lot of teams still wanting to keep it how about a compromise and have it seeded

say the league has 80 teams.split them into 2 groups of 40
the first 40 from top of the prem downwards and the second 40 being from there to the bottom of div7
and draw 1 team from the top 40 and 1 from the bottom forty
this would mean the teams who 'like to test themselves against the big boys' would get their wish
and most of the teams getting through the first round would be from the higher divisions who with less teams in their divisions would be better placed to handle the extra fixtures of the future rounds

I'm ready for the flack Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://chriscooper05@hotmail.com
allen654
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

Seems like a good idea. However with some teams wanting the cup and some teams not could there not be an argument to make the Billy Walton an optional cup rather than compulsory? You have a compulsory divisional cup and have county cups so could make Billy Walton option so those teams who don't want the burden don't have to enter whereas those who want to enter can
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:56 pm

a well thought out idea, but don't think the format should ever be changed. if a lower league team gets a 'pointless fixture' (i.e. against a much higher placed team), then the chances are they will have only had one additional fixture during the winter which isn't going to cause too much hassle.

i personally think County Cups can cause more damage, because given the recent weather we have had, no club can move on with its league or other cup competitions because the county cup takes priority. you can miss a months' football or so at this time of year waiting for a county cup fixture to get played.
Back to top Go down
FC POCHIN
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
FC POCHIN

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:58 pm

yeah that's another idea that should be considered allen654

Last edited by FC POCHIN on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
FC POCHIN
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
FC POCHIN

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

Polska legend II wrote:
a well thought out idea, but don't think the format should ever be changed. if a lower league team gets  a 'pointless fixture' (i.e. against a much higher placed team), then the chances are they will have only had one additional fixture during the winter which isn't going to cause too much hassle.

i personally think County Cups can cause more damage, because given the recent weather we have had, no club can move on with its league or other cup competitions because the county cup takes priority. you can miss a months' football or so at this time of year waiting for a county cup fixture to get played.

no mark the pointless fixtures I am referring to are the ones like we and other teams have
where we have drawn teams in lower divisions who we have beat easily knowing that eventually we will get a side that are going to beat us easily
Back to top Go down
THE MAGICIAN
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster
THE MAGICIAN

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm

I love cup competition, it's exciting but I agree with Mr Pochin on literally everything he has said, at the end of the day we have had 4 failed attempts to play our game against GT who are top of the Premier while I have watched literally everyone else play games, I know we can do bugger all about the weather but all we have been doing for a month is sat and wait for the inevitable and get a right royal spanking.

It may sound like I'm putting my team down and they might not agree with me but at the same time I'm realistic. Do the seeding thing and I reckon that will give the lower sides a shot at a giant kill early doors and more likely for them not to get a few lucky draws in the early rounds then it pretty much mess up their season where you can at least compete.
Back to top Go down
dan_mitchell_WRFC
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dan_mitchell_WRFC

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 11:15 am

I dislike the Billy Walton cup. Serves no purpose for teams below division 4. Stacks up fixtures, we are now 4 league games behind and in 3 cup competitions. We will be playing 3 games a week in April.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

And ironically teams that were in a higher division last year, are now in lower ones.

Just seems strange all this moving around the divisions depending on what cups you want to go in for.
Back to top Go down
Jenko
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

I love the Billy Walton cup and think it is great as it is but can see where people are coming from the lower leagues with it being seeded.

I just wish when I was away my team had managed to stay in it as after this weekend we will have 2 matches left against the same team we could be finished by mid feb, think I might need a transfer just to play some games
Back to top Go down
the goalie
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
the goalie

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 12:26 pm

Jenko wrote:
I love the Billy Walton cup and think it is great as it is but can see where people are coming from the lower leagues with it being seeded.

I just wish when I was away my team had managed to stay in it as after this weekend we will have 2 matches left against the same team we could be finished by mid feb, think I might need a transfer just to play some games

lol not with our home pitch you wont !!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jenko
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

the goalie wrote:
Jenko wrote:

lol not with our home pitch you wont !!!!!!!!!!!

Well with our home pitch ours will be on then we wont play from feb till end of April lol
Back to top Go down
gattuso
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster
gattuso

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

Love the billy Walton had a great game with Malc and nri against star n garter where they pipped us to a 3-2 win
Back to top Go down
NiffyA
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
NiffyA

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jan 2014, 6:42 pm

I like the billy walton, it's a good cup to play in, and good to see some giant killings here and there. We play Moshdock in our next round and although the odds are against us I'm looking forward to it!!
Back to top Go down
bretty1
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jan 2014, 7:17 pm

Jamie you have confirmed your a daft lad, it is another game to keep the season going is the only plus with that draw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

billy walton cup Empty
PostSubject: Re: billy walton cup   billy walton cup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

billy walton cup
Page 1 of 1