Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Running A Football Team

Go down 
+10
Cobbo
fozzi
Sparta3
dan_mitchell_WRFC
Joey Barton
Hellboy
THE MAGICIAN
Katie G
Paulo
Polska legend II
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

Running A Football Team Empty
PostSubject: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

Came across these 2 examples from a website based down London way. 2 stories from 2 different clubs.

Sunday mornings are a nightmare as it is. As soon as I get up, my missus says: “Ooooh, it’s started, it’s Sunday,” as I respond to a barrage of text messages, missed calls and voice mails asking unbelievable questions such as: where are we playing?
I’ve had texts saying they can’t play because they’ve got to look at carpets with their girlfriends or wives. Or even better; they’ve lost their boots. Alarmingly true.
So what about cash? Subs collection has been an issue at every club I’ve ever been with.
Your Fancy Dans of this world always try and sneak off without paying. Appointing a role of ‘subs enforcer’ was much-needed! My enforcer keeps a list of who owes and who’s paid. Some still owe for bookings - it all adds up.
The actual administration involved in running a team isn’t too bad, as long as you've got everybody signed on. You can be docked points if all this isn’t in place.
The biggest problem is remembering all these little things - such as filling in the team sheet correctly and posting it on time.
A £20 fine because the team sheet hasn’t reached the League secretary by Wednesday? It does happen.
There are loads of other things to sort out. Ringing the ref and opposition to confirm the fixture five days before, then ringing the result in after the game. And possibly most important is ringing our local boozer The Lonsdale to confirm the team will be in for food.
And so after all the hard work during the week, you hope the boys produce the goods on the Saturday. Losing can make you question why you do all of this.
Winning is such an amazing feeling though and far outweighs any losses, although our current poor form is testing this to the max.
For any budding young managers out there, I do have one piece of advice. Get a good sized car, preferably an MPV or a van.
Transporting our keeper, a sack of footballs, corner flags, nets, water bottles and a kit bag in a 3-door Rover coupe is hard work and does nothing for the interior of your motor
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

2nd story:

Of course this has been a tremendous amount of hard work. I am still washing the kit as cutting costs and making a profit is a priority. I estimate i spend 30 hours a week running the club and have invested an estimated £6,000 of my own money over the years on telephone bills, washing machine repairs/liquid and suchlike.
I have had tantrums, punch ups with disgruntled players and my wife now accepts that she comes 2nd to football!!
but i absolutely love it and am proud of what the club has achieved. The players are all fantastic guys, although football does bring the worst out in some of them!
Some advice i would give would be...
1. Plan your finances out each season and be meticulous. I do a forecasted financial prediction each season and we budget accordingly.
2. Be ruthless, if someone shows dissent or a lack of respect to you, jump on them like a ton of bricks. We have a club fine on top of the F.A fine for dissent.
3. Operate a no pay no play policy. If the players turn up without their subs money they don't play. I tell them that the club is not a charity and pitch and referee fees don't pay themselves. There are no exceptions to this rule and at the end of this season, we had no outstanding money owed by anyone.
4. I always ring my players. Texting and e-mailing is ok but a lot of times i have over 14 players available. Communication is also vital. Telling someone straight is the way to do it and i rarely have players leave because they are not in the team. But be fair at all times. If an average player turns up week in and week out, give him the nod over the superstars who turn up once every three weeks and think they can waltz in the team because they are good. Just because they are better does not mean they can do what they want. That is showing the club and all the other players and officials a complete lack of respect.
5. Delegate. You can't do everything on your own and i think to run a successful football team, you need at least two helpers.
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm

some great point of advice
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedrevolutionfc.webs.com
Katie G
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Get the money in before the game- it's the only way, works for us!
Back to top Go down
THE MAGICIAN
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster
THE MAGICIAN

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

Two very good reads........

We at NRI have a very good balance and Widds is an absolute superstar in his efforts and the jobs he does, we also have Kerrie Heighton who runs the books which is also a massive help ( the Heighton's just moved into a new house at the weekend lol )

Looking at some of the other advice on show I may have a bit to learn myself. Embarassed

We still have area's we could improve on but overall we are fairly happy with the way our club is ran.
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:49 pm

Same with Katie...club wouldnt be afloat if it werent for her... i get the players she charges them...good balance Smile only way to do it though...u have to be extremely organised to get everything ready for 10.30 on a sunday morning...because even at 10am things change very quickly...no ref, players not turn up etc etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedrevolutionfc.webs.com
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:59 pm

I put the nets up at our home ground each week, and generally take all the empty vodka bottles out of the goal mouths that have been left there the night before. When I returned 10 minutes before kick off, the ref asked me to remove a huge mound of dog poo that was not there half an hour before! The park is full of notices to dog owners saying they will be fined, but last week was the worst I've ever seen it. And the owner in question would have known they were walking across a footie pitch as the nets were up. Bad behaviour!
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

The chavs will not understand a word you have written....Qualiteeee....as Lee Nelson sez.
Back to top Go down
Joey Barton
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

I do it all for Superfly at the minute, To be honest the only bit i really dislike is sitting in the laundrette.
The lads do pi$$ me about sometimes but most of them are good, I only have a few bad payers and they now pay a months subs in advance.

This league has a lot of support, If i ever get stuck with something the league officals as well as other club sec's are always willing to help and give advice.

Overall my only major problem is keeping players!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/superflyfc/
dan_mitchell_WRFC
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dan_mitchell_WRFC

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

I pretty much do it myself, but have both Brian and Graham to fall back on if i have any problems. In the 2 years I have been doing it I have had very few problems.
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster
Sparta3

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011, 9:24 am

Three of us do it between us at LDA.

Dave Kennedy - Secretary - makes all of the referee and opposition contact, attends league meetings and liaises with county FA over fines etc.

Rob Maybury - Treasurer - collects all subs and keeps track of player debts.

Me - Manager - My job to make sure we have 11 players for the Sunday morning and (try to) pick the best team.

There's always a lot more work than the 'basic' job that has to be put in that usually goes unappreciated by the majority of players but we all do it for the love of the game (cliche alert).
Back to top Go down
fozzi
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
fozzi

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

great article, very useful.
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Polska legend II

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

got a missed call from your club earlier?
Back to top Go down
Cobbo

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011, 8:20 pm

I've taken over this year and was a bit apprehensive at doing it at first.

But it's not bad at all - get good help from the missus (treasurer by name) & jimmyb is press officer so does all the results post match etc. (as well as organising friendlies).

Mark is the manager, picking the team is certainly something I am glad I do without. Sharing the load certainly helps - the ship was very much in order following Craig's 7 year tenure too.

Good bunch of lads at Fosse anyway (always has been), so not much bother in terms of getting cash etc.
Back to top Go down
saff lounge
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm

Polska legend II wrote:
I put the nets up at our home ground each week, and generally take all the empty vodka bottles out of the goal mouths that have been left there the night before. When I returned 10 minutes before kick off, the ref asked me to remove a huge mound of dog poo that was not there half an hour before! The park is full of notices to dog owners saying they will be fined, but last week was the worst I've ever seen it. And the owner in question would have known they were walking across a footie pitch as the nets were up. Bad behaviour!

i do love walking my dog on your park
Back to top Go down
chopper

chopper

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

About the only thing your good at!! Walking the dog!
Back to top Go down
Joey Barton
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

saff lounge wrote:
Polska legend II wrote:

i do love walking my dog on your park

That will explain why you didn't turn up last sunday....
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/superflyfc/
Stroller
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
Stroller

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

Knowing some of the Wigston Fields inhabitants there is no guarantee the poo was delivered by a canine IMHO Shocked
Back to top Go down
greeeedy
Premiership Poster
Premiership Poster
greeeedy

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Stroller wrote:
Knowing some of the Wigston Fields inhabitants there is no guarantee the poo was delivered by a canine IMHO Shocked

u saying somebody was squating with a handful of dot leaves Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running A Football Team   Running A Football Team Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running A Football Team
Page 1 of 1