Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?

Go down 
+3
gattuso
greeeedy
Tomassi
7 posters

MDH Knights
Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_lcap23%Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
New Road Inn
Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_lcap50%Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 11 ]
Saffron Lounge Bar
Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_lcap9%Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Sparta Parva
Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_lcap18%Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Tomassi
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster
Tomassi

Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Empty
PostSubject: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 3:18 pm

Place your bets... now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/spartaparvafc

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 9:02 pm

I am guessing that MDH and Saff boys just havent voted whereas ours have.....not sure there is a favourite in amongst those four....whoever wins it will have deserved it....
Back to top Go down
greeeedy
Premiership Poster
Premiership Poster
greeeedy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

Tomassi wrote:
Place your bets... now!

hopefully nri i want them to win it and think they will good luck to widds and the boys
Back to top Go down
gattuso
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster
gattuso

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 12:00 am

greeeedy wrote:
Tomassi wrote:
Place your bets... now!

hopefully nri i want them to win it and think they will good luck to widds and the boys

if we get to the final, i expect the bullshead boys to be there with nri fan club shirts on haa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 4:53 am

greeeedy wrote:
Tomassi wrote:
Place your bets... now!

Nice one geez, although i suspect thats more to do with the free pint i promised if we win lol

Denty - we getting scarves if we get through....and badges...for the fans!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 8:56 am

New Road on form, but other 3 all very good sides- gona be close! would like to see a Division 5 team in the final!
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedrevolutionfc.webs.com
greeeedy
Premiership Poster
Premiership Poster
greeeedy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 11:41 am

gattuso wrote:
greeeedy wrote:
Tomassi wrote:
Place your bets... now!

if we get to the final, i expect the bullshead boys to be there with nri fan club shirts on haa

we shall be there hope u got plenty of nri memrobelia might be worth a few bob if or shud i say WHEN u lift the cup cheers
Back to top Go down
greeeedy
Premiership Poster
Premiership Poster
greeeedy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 11:42 am

Paulo_MTFC wrote:
New Road on form, but other 3 all very good sides- gona be close! would like to see a Division 5 team in the final!

im up for that new road vs m d h final be a cracking tie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 2:47 pm

Yeah, we just want to get to the final and then enjoy it. Would be good to play someone different, bored of Sparta, but not too fussed whether we dispatch them in the semi or, if we get there, the final....four good teams though....game on....would like to wish good luck to MDH and Saff....
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 2:59 pm

greeeedy wrote:
Paulo_MTFC wrote:

im up for that new road vs m d h final be a cracking tie

yeah i agree, like both of the teams, from expereince of last two years in stokes finals, not something u want to miss out on in the semi final i promise u that, great day out! or 2 days if u win and u roll in the next morning haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 3:03 pm

If we won, i may do a Gazza!! Also, there is a promise from Tubby NRI to rest his nut sack in the trophy in some sort of arty pose!!
Back to top Go down
dezza
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dezza

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeTue 25 Jan 2011, 5:25 pm

hhmmm im hoping for a n.r.i v saff final. wouldnt want to give a prediction though
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeTue 25 Jan 2011, 6:38 pm

i know who i dont want to win it, but i suppose thats off topic, so i'll just have to keep schtum.
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 8:29 am

New Road Inn wrote:
If we won, i may do a Gazza!! Also, there is a promise from Tubby NRI to rest his nut sack in the trophy in some sort of arty pose!!

i have been told not to ever put any sort of drink in the trophy though for acts must worse than the above!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 9:02 am

dezza wrote:
hhmmm im hoping for a n.r.i v saff final. wouldnt want to give a prediction though

Did you mean semi final??
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

Paulo_MTFC wrote:
New Road Inn wrote:

i have been told not to ever put any sort of drink in the trophy though for acts must worse than the above!!!

What happened 2 years ago?
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 1:17 pm

Hellboy wrote:
Paulo_MTFC wrote:
New Road Inn wrote:

What happened 2 years ago?

No i was told after I was given it that the previous 30+ years (sure gordon will correct me on how old it is!) of using the trophy had seen a few sights
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 1:27 pm

You just wait!!!
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 2:04 pm

the stokes cup, whats the story, why the name?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

A few more than 30 years Ross!

Enquiries into the history of a silver cup currently being contested in the Alliance Football
League started in Canada and finished in Wales with a fascinating tale along the way.

The story begins with George M Beardsmore, Master of the Ontario Fox Hounds
(1893 to 1930), a very successful businessman who was born in 1850 in Hamilton and educated both in Ontario and England. He was attracted by the acquisition of royal patronage by the International Horse Show in 1911 and along with many other overseas visitors decided to pay a visit to White City. To mark the occasion, he brought
with him a magnificent trophy and named it "The Toronto Cup" He offered it for competition
by the champion qualified hunters of the day.

The winner? - John Henry Stokes of Great Bowden in Leicestershire, an extremely well known grazier and breeder of hunters. So well known was John Henry that he received many crowned heads from throughout Europe and supplied them with his famous hunters and thoroughbreds.

Mr Beardsmore was awarded the Military Cross in 1915 for his bravery as Captain of the Mississinga Horse Regiment but subsequently suffered in the Wall Street Crash in 1929.

J H Stokes retained the trophy within the family until November 1937 when his son, William Ernest decided to keep up the family's tradition for benevolence and donated the cup to the
Market Harborough and District Football League.

The first winners were appropriately Great Bowden Imperial FC and the latest being Great Bowden FC. In the meantime, with the exception of the war years, this trophy, which is now known as "The Stokes Cup" has been the subject of annual competition travelling throughout the villages of South Leicestershire.

Like the cup, the League has changed its name to The Alliance Football League.
To complete the story, C William Birmingham, the descendant of our friend George W Beardsmore MFH, has been tracked down, still living in Toronto, as has grandson Mr John E D Stokes who now lives in Prestatyn in Wales. Both were excited to know that this historic prize is still put to good use in Leicestershire soccer circles and is in good hands.
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 6:36 pm

A breeder of horses the perfect life, interesting stuff, and nothing on this earth more noble than a horse.

also had a look at the photo's of North Kilworth 1905-1906 last week....love photo's like that.

i think the unknown one is Widds.....top left
Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 6:45 pm

Wheres the unkown one chap? Have i missed something? (not the quickest these days!!)
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 6:49 pm

somewhere in the archives section.....the one that says about us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 6:54 pm

Ahhh i remember when i first signed up to this....you put me down as the person that most annoys you.....how beautiful that now we sing merrily together!
Back to top Go down
dezza
Championship Poster
Championship Poster
dezza

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 8:48 pm

New Road Inn wrote:
dezza wrote:

no final, why is the final not possible?
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 9:35 pm

New Road Inn wrote:
Ahhh i remember when i first signed up to this....you put me down as the person that most annoys you.....how beautiful that now we sing merrily together!

http://www.alliancefootballleague.co.uk/Home_About_Us.html
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 8:24 am

Moderator wrote:
A few more than 30 years Ross!

I did think it was longer but didnt want over egg it!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 9:41 am

dezza wrote:
New Road Inn wrote:
dezza wrote:

no final, why is the final not possible?

My bad! I got told we had drawn Saff in the final!!! I will slink away now...!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 9:44 am

Hellboy wrote:
New Road Inn wrote:

http://www.alliancefootballleague.co.uk/Home_About_Us.html

Very similar....a thin version of me!!
Back to top Go down
gattuso
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster
gattuso

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 10:16 am

MDH vs Saffron final.... u heard it here first Wink lol
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 10:53 am

gattuso wrote:

would be nice to see! gives teams belief they can get to the big finals regardless of what division they are in! sure u boys and sparta wont be taking either side lightly. MDH beat us and Phoenix and Saffron have beaten Niffy and Bakers. Both fully deserve their place in the last 4!
Back to top Go down
Hellboy
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog
Hellboy

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 11:44 am

gattuso wrote:

Who wouldn't you want to win it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 1:07 pm

I agree that any one of the four teams could win, and it wouldnt be a surprise. I want to play MDH or Saffron as i like playing different teams (would love one of them in the semi and the other in the final). And like i said, whoever wins it, fair play to them as they will have got further than three other equally matched teams
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to win the Stokes Cup?   Who is going to win the Stokes Cup? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1